The holiday is upon us! There are ways to enjoy the holiday meals without overindulging. Most of us have been there, we have overindulged: belly is too full, bloated, and just feel plain gross. Portion control is important year round but especially when holiday food is around. You’ve worked hard all year – don’t let yourself down around the holidays. Remember the feeling when you eat too much, now remember the feeling when you succeed in a challenging/tempting situation. You are in control of how you will feel after the meal. Here are some ideas and strategies to keep in mind:
- Eat normal, small meals and snacks leading up to the holiday meal.
- Drink water. This is especially important when drinking alcohol. Carry a water bottle with you all day.
- Choose a smaller plate. A full 12 inch plate has a lot more calories than a full eight or nine inch plate!
- Load up on veggie dish but watch out of creams and sauces.
- Share dessert and just have a bite or two rather than a whole sampler plate.
- Move your body! Even if it is short walks throughout the day – get moving!
- Most of all: be mindful. Mindful of what you are putting in your body, how much, and how it is making you feel.